Benefits: tell us about a change in your circumstances

Why you must report any changes in your circumstances?

In order to avoid overpayments and potentially court proceedings it is important that you tell us of any changes in your circumstances.  By telling us you will help us keep your benefit right.

What changes you must report

You need to tell us if you or your partner :

  • Stop or start getting a Department of Works and Pensions benefit;
  • Start work or change jobs;
  • Have an increase or decrease in wages;
  • Have savings or investments and the value goes up or down;
  • Go into hospital.

You also need to tell us if :

  • Any of your children leave school;
  • You change address;
  • The number of people living with you changes, for example :
    • You have a child;
    • Other people come to live with you;
    • You foster a child or children;
    • Other people leave your house.

When to tell us about a change in circumstances?

You must inform us of a change in circumstances within 1 calendar month of the change.  If you have a change in your circumstances which would give you more benefit, and you have delayed telling us, any change will only be made from the Monday following the date reported. 

If the change would give you less benefit, causing an overpayment of benefit, your claim will be amended from the actual change date. 

How to report a change in circumstances

Changes in your circumstances should be reported in writing and we may ask you for further evidence in support of your change.  To report any changes or for advice on the types of changes you should report contact us on 01254 585585 or use the online form.

Please remember that informing agencies of the Department for Work and Pensions or other offices such as welfare rights or your landlord does not automatically mean that the Council will be informed.

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option