Council tax - change in circumstances

It is essential that you tell us immediately about any changes or new situations affecting your council tax bill as the amount you have to pay is worked out on a daily basis. The easiest way to tell us of a change in your circumstances is to make a general enquiry or complete the appropriate online form.

​You are responsible for providing us with the correct information for anyone within your household.

Some of examples of things you must tell us are:-

  • You are no longer responsible for the property
  • You or your partner changes name
  • Anyone who is jointly liable to pay the council tax bill moves out
  • Your correspondence address alters
  • You or anyone living with you becomes a student or takes part in a Youth training scheme
  • A student in your household ends their course, or if any other disregarded resident in your household has a change of circumstance
  • You no longer qualify for a discount or exemption
  • You or anyone living with you goes into hospital or nursing home on a permanent basis

What you must do if the council tax payer dies

We understand that it can be difficult to deal with the many arrangements that are needed when a person dies. However, we do need to know the date of death and what is happening to the deceased person's home.

If you are the executor or administrator of a deceased person's estate, you must also tell us when any of the following happens:

  • probate is granted or you get the letters of administration for the deceased person's estate
  • someone moves into the deceased person's property
  • the tenancy is ended and the property is returned to the landlord
  • the property is sold
  • someone inherits the property
  • you move the furniture out of the property.

You can contact us to give us the information we need.​​

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option