Council tax refunds

You may be entitled to claim a refund if you have overpaid your council tax. This could happen if you have, for example:

  • moved out of Blackburn or Darwen;
  • been awarded a discount or an exemption;
  • been awarded council tax benefit;
  • The Valuation office have reduced the band of your property.

Refunds of council tax are usually paid direct into the bank account of the person or persons who's name is on the council tax bill but in certain circumstances we can pay by cheque.

If your account is in credit because you have moved out of the address, we will only issue a refund if we have a forwarding address.

We will normally only issue a refund if your account is in credit so if you have qualified for a exemption or discount and your bill has reduced you will not receive a refund but instead a new council tax bill with new instalments.

If your property has been re banded by the Valuation Office then we will normally refund the amount your account is in credit after the band has been amended, if your re band has been back dated over a number of years and you wish for the full value of the reduction to be refunded then please contact us and let us know.

If your account is in credit at the end of a financial year, we will offset this credit against your liability for the next financial year unless you specify otherwise.

We do not normally refund any amounts of less than £10.00, where you still have an ongoing liability, instead this credit will be carried forward to the following year.

How to claim a refund

You can claim a refund by:

  • Request a refund online form
  • complete and return the refund request form, which is included in your bill when the account is in credit.

Overpaid Direct Debits

In the unlikely event that your council tax is overpaid because of a problem with your direct debit, you are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee. You will be refunded the amount that has been overpaid by your bank, and we will reimburse your bank. We will not send a refund directly to you.

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option