Disabled band reduction

If your home is occupied by a disabled person, you may be entitled to a reduction in the amount of council tax you pay.

This is called a disabled band reduction.

You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you should no longer be receiving a disabled reduction.

Please contact us with the relevant details, and remember to include your council tax account number.

If we find out later that you were not entitled to a reduction or to the amount of reduction you were awarded, we are required by law to add this amount to your account and we will send you a revised bill.

Qualifying criteria

In order to qualify for a disabled reduction, the disabled person:

  • must live in the property
  • does not have to be the person who pays the council tax
  • can be an adult or child
  • must be substantially and permanently disabled. This includes learning difficulties and mental health problems as well as physical disability.

In addition, your home must have at least one of the following:

  • an additional bathroom or kitchen to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • an additional room (not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory), which is predominantly used by the disabled person and is required to meet their needs
  • sufficient floor space for the disabled person to use a wheelchair

"Required to meet their needs" is anything which is essential or of major importance to the well-being of the disabled person.

Claiming disabled band reduction

To get a disabled reduction you must make a claim. Please complete the online disabled band reduction form.

We will need to visit your home before we make a decision.

If you are awarded a disabled reduction, we will normally date the reduction from the day you make the claim.

You must tell us immediately if the disabled person no longer lives at your property.

Reduction amount

If you are awarded a disabled reduction, the amount of council tax we charge will be one band lower than the band your home has been placed in by the valuation officer.

For example, if your property is in band E we will charge you at band D. If your property is in band A, we will charge you at 5/9ths of a band D property.

You will still receive a council tax discount and council tax benefit if these apply to you.

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option