Reduced business rates for charities

Charities are entitled to relief from rates on any non-domestic property which is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes.

To qualify the occupier will normally need to be registered with the Charity Commission as a charity, although some organisations are exempt from registration.

Organisations which are not registered charities, but which are established for charitable purposes may qualify. In these cases the Council will decide whether the organisation can be regarded as a charity.

Relief is given at 80% of the bill and the Council has discretion to remit all or part of the remaining 20% of a charity's bill on such property.

The Council also has the discretion to remit all or part of any rate bill in respect of property occupied by certain bodies not established or conducted for profit.

To apply for this relief you will need to complete an application form.

You can also download and print out the form and send it to us on the address shown on the form.

Community amateur sport club status

Community amateur sport club status is an initiative run by the Inland Revenue, which gives, sports clubs (or clubs with sport as their main purpose) many of the benefits of charitable status without the various administrative responsibilities associated with being a charity.

The benefits of CASC status include:

  • Mandatory 80% rate relief (funded by Central Government)
  • Gift Aid on donations from individuals, meaning clubs are able to claim back the equivalent of 28p for every £1 donated
  • Exemption on corporation tax on bank and building society interest
  • Exemption from corporation tax on trading and property income below certain thresholds
  • Exemption on corporation tax on chargeable gains

You can obtain more information and apply for the initiative by visiting

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option