Construction or inert DIY type material waste

Service information

Disposal of construction or DIY-type waste at Blackburn or Darwen household waste recycling centre

From 1st February 2019, you will need a permit to ‘tip off’. You can apply for a free permit from 7th  January 2019.

Your permit will allow you to dispose of 10 bags of materials (or equivalent items) over a 12 month period.

Apply for a permit

Examples of construction/DIY-type waste:

  • bricks
  • rubble
  • soil,
  • stones  
  • bathroom ceramics 
  • plaster
  • kitchen sink

Types of waste that require a permit

Anything that needs to be placed in the hardcore / construction waste or plasterboard skips at the centres requires a permit to be disposed of. These items must not be placed in the general waste skips:

  • Bath
  • Bathroom sink, pedestal, bidet
  • Bricks
  • Ceramics
  • Chimney pots
  • Clay
  • Concrete/concrete fence post, lintels
  • Flag stones
  • Hardcore, rubble
  • Kitchen sink
  • Plaster, plasterboard
  • Tiles – floor, wall or roof (incl slates)
  • Soil including sand, stones, turf
  • Tarmac
  • Toilet base, or cistern

Apply for a permit

Only one permit will be issued per vehicle and per household at any one time.

How the permit scheme works

Anyone arriving at either the Blackburn or Darwen household waste recycling centre from 1st February 2019, will be required to produce their permit to be allowed to ‘tip off’ construction/ DIY- type wastes.

No trade construction / DIY-type waste allowed.

Once your application has been approved, your permit will be posted to you. It will allow you to dispose of the following amounts of waste in the 12 months from when your permit is issued :

  • Up to 10 standard rubble- sized bags (600mm x 900mm) or equivalent items
  • One equivalent items could be a toilet, sink, or large plasterboard sheet

You must present your permit to the site staff upon arrival. Your permit will be ‘clipped’ for each bag or equivalent items which you dispose of.

If you are using a van or trailer, you will also need a van/trailer permit.

If have used up your allowance for the 12 months on your permit you cannot pay at the centres. Please hire a skip or dispose of at a ‘trade’ waste disposal centre.

Access policy (including permit schemes)

The Council operates an access policy at both of its household waste recycling centres. The access policy helps to reduce congestion, increase safety and prevent trade waste from entering our sites.

The usage of BWDBC household waste recycling centres may be monitored and suspected abuse will be investigated and a permit may be withdrawn as a result. Staff on site have authority to refuse entry if they suspect a customer is bringing trade waste to the centre.

Trade waste is not accepted at the household waste recycling centres, the penalties for depositing such waste carry fines of up to £50,000.​​​

Contact details

Phone Number(s)  
Fax Number(s)  
Extra Information
We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option